Have you registered yet? It is set to be the largest show in more than seven years. And as Concrete Construction’s editor in chief Bill Palmer said, “Starting on Feb. 1, Las Vegas becomes the capital of the concrete industry as the World of Concrete opens for 2016.”
While you’re busy planning to attend all the great luncheons and seminars I put together a list of five free things you can do at WOC 2016. In no particular order, here it is:
- Stop by CC Live! (Booth C6285) We’ll have an area set up where you can watch editors of Hanley Wood’s commercial construction magazines interview some of the most prominent people in the industry today discussing the latest important topics, news, and events. These include the nation’s economic outlook with an emphasis on construction, the latest with the American Concrete Institute, the battle with the wood industry for mid-rise construction projects, and much more. See the Daily News for a daily schedule.
- Stop by the Gold Lot! Here’s where the fun takes place with all-day demos; action-packed competitions, and so much more. Learn something new about precast operations with Del Zotto, or pervious concrete with Lura Enterprises and Cemen Tech Inc. Or you can join in the fun with the Western Star Trucks Get Tough Challenge and the John Deere Operator Challenge. The Gold Lot has something for everyone. Get a copy of the Daily News for a detailed schedule of events.
- Visit the Precast Area.New for 2016, the precast area in North Hall will focus on precast products, technologies, and equipment, including coring machines, pipe unloaders, precast forms, above/below ground precast, concrete pipe, manhole and septic tank equipment, and much more!
- Visit the Producer Center. The Producer Center in the North Hall is where you will want to spend some extra time. Dozens of manufacturers will display their equipment, products, technologies, and materials. Here are some of the exhibiting companies and their products.
- Take in Las Vegas! As anyone who has been to Las Vegas knows, the Strip is action-packed each night. If you’re looking for the free angle, just walk around; I promise you won’t be bored. But, if you want to spend a little money, catch a show, go to dinner, or play some blackjack. There is no shortage of fun in Las Vegas.
After taking in all the fun, free activities, you might want to register for one of the many great luncheons this year: Self-Consolidating Concrete Today Presentation, Breakfast with the Experts, Equipment Fleets Luncheon & Forum, Constructing Innovative Steel-Fiber Concrete Floors Breakfast & Forum, and How to Calibrate a Volumetric Mixer Workshop. Register for one, or all! I’ll see you in Vegas!