This year marks the third annual National Safety Stand-Down for fall prevention in construction. The stand-down is combined effort from OSHA and other groups including the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and the National Occupational Research Agenda (NORA).

During the Stand-Down, employers and workers paused in the middle of the workday and focus on fall prevention through talks, demonstrations, and trainings. Last year, 2.5 million workers received certificates and nearly 1 million workers received them in the first year of the Stand-Down.

There have been Stand-Downs reported in all 50 states with participation extending beyond the construction industry. The largest single participant for the Stand-Down in 205 was the U.S. Air Force with 1.5 million active duty, civilian and reserve service men and women participation.

The participation goal for this years Stand-Down is 5 million workers. This increase reflects the improving economy and the full beginning of construction season.

“It’s clear that this is an important issue to a great number of people across this nation. Through innovative and collaborative efforts like the National Safety Stand-Down, we are able to reach countless workers and employers and emphasis the importance of preventing falls on the jobsite,” said said Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health Dr. David Michaels.

For more information about the 2016 National Safety Stand-Down May 2-6, head over to