A proposed new ASTM specification will help minimize maintenance expense and improve public safety by providing a definitive standard for one essential infrastructure component, fabricated metal access hatches. The proposed standard is ASTM WK43586, Specification for the Design, Testing, Manufacture, Selection and Installation of Fabricated Metal Access Hatches for Utility, Water and Wastewater Structures. The hatches covered by ASTM WK43586 are a vital component of all utility distribution systems, providing vertical access to junctions and equipment for electric, telephone, cable, fiber optic, water and wastewater. According to ASTM member Tom Elliott, manager of product design, Jensen Precast, ASTM WK43586 will provide the following:
- Guidelines to specifying engineers, purchasers and end users regarding the selection of access hatch load levels based on actual conditions of the hatch’s placement location to avoid failure due to overloading;
- Guidelines for access hatch design engineers for loading, required load placements and required load cases;
- Instruction for prototype and production testing of hatches to prove designs and production quality;
- Clear access hatch labeling and marking instructions that include load levels to help assure that inappropriate locations are not selected for hatches and that the manufacturer is properly identified with traceable manufacturing dates and/or serial numbers;
- Hatch manufacturing quality control procedures to assure proper grades of materials and quality of fabrications; and
- Instruction for proper hatch installation.
In addition to hatch manufacturers and utility companies, regulatory bodies and consumers will use ASTM WK43586 as a basis for load level selection and product specification. ASTM WK43586 is being developed by Subcommittee C27.10 on Utility Structures, part of ASTM Committee C27 on Precast Concrete Products. ASTM welcomes participation in the development of its standards. Become a member at www.astm.org/JOIN. Helping our world work better Over 12,000 ASTM standards operate globally. Defined and set by us, they improve the lives of millions every day. Combined with our innovative business services, they enhance performance and help everyone have confidence in the things they buy and use – from the toy in a child’s hand to the aircraft overhead. Working across borders, disciplines, and industries we harness the expertise of over 30,000 members to create consensus and improve performance in manufacturing and materials, products and processes, systems and services. Understanding commercial needs and consumer priorities, we touch every part of everyday life: helping our world work better. For more news in this sector, visit firstname.lastname@example.orgASTM Staff Contact: Joseph Hugo, tel +1.610.832.9740; email@example.comASTM PR Contact: Barbara Schindler, tel +1.610.832.9603; firstname.lastname@example.org