At the Proximity Hotel in Greensboro, N.C., the precast concrete wall system uses a carbon fiber wythe connector to create continuous insulation and reduce heating and cooling costs.
Billing itself as the “Greenest Hotel in America,” the Proximity Hotel is built to use 40% less energy and 30% less water than a comparable hotel. The AAA Four Diamond, locally owned hotel says it offers a glimpse of the future while celebrating the past.
Sustainable practices clearly reflect the future while custom-designed furnishings, commissioned art, and innovative design await guests in every corner of the 147-room luxury hotel.
The 55,000-square-foot building features precast concrete walls with continuous insulation for thermal efficiency and reduced heating and cooling costs. Precast was manufactured within 100 miles and resulted in near-zero construction site waste. Concrete used 20% fly ash. Plant-manufactured precast helped reduce harvested materials, site noise, and dust. Cement contained 4% to 7% pre-consumer content. Other sustainable attributes include:
- Regenerative drive elevators that generate electricity as they are descending
- Use of natural lighting
- Low VOC paint, adhesives, and carpet to reduce indoor air pollution
- Use of solar roof panels to heat 60% of the hotel's water
- Use of a ground-source heat-pump refrigeration system
- Furniture made within 18 miles of the site
- Bar made from salvaged, native walnut trees that were damaged in a storm
- A large stream on the project site was restored, creating a self-sustaining system that rebuilds wildlife habitat, aids in flood prevention, and helps with erosion and sediment control.
Owner: Quaintance-Weaver, Greensboro, N.C.
Architect/Designer: Centrepoint Architecture, Raleigh, N.C.
Structural Engineer: Kaydos-Daniels Engineers, Raleigh, N.C.
General Contractor: Weaver Cooke Construction LLC, Greensboro, N.C.
Concrete Producer: Metromont Corp., Greenville, S.C.
Materials Supplier: Concrete Supply Co., Charlotte, N.C.
To see slideshows and details for all entries, visit www.greensiteawards.com